Thursday, October 22, 2015

Goodbye public school

We officially become a homeschooling family on Monday, October 26, 2015. We did the withdrawal dance today and turned in our proof of educational background along with our kiddo's shot records. In a few easy steps, we are now responsible for Kiddo's education.

Let that sink in.

I am responsible for leading her to the knowledge that will shape her future. I am teaching her how to learn and guiding her towards knowledge.

Let that sink in.

I have a big responsibility! I didn't feel the least bit overwhelmed until I saw how ridiculously easy it is to make this change. We only have to appear for formal state testing in 5th grade then in 7th grade! That's twice in 4.5 years!! I could make a million mistakes in that span of time!!!!!! I have no eye in the sky and no one to knock on the door to verify that my pencils are, in fact, all sharpened and my blackboard erasers are clean and crisp. I have no one giving me rules! Scary, scary business is this freedom stuff.

Ok. So, maybe I am being dramatic with a smidge of overly. But I care deeply about her learning experience which is why I am doing this. I want her to love learning and never tire of new facts. I am sure we will do just fine because my need to be the best mom I can will keep me on the right track to be the best teacher I can. I just hope the nay-sayers will stop naying soon. Its a scary journey to begin (Hello! Responsible for the complete teaching of a whole other person!) and support is going to be necessary and helpful along the way. I am anticipating bad days for both she and I (We AAAARE both people after all) and it will help to have a few voices cheering us on and a few ears to whine into when I feel like we have hit a wall.

I so hope this is the best decision. It feels like it is deep down in my tummy, way down near the belly button and the fluttery spot where the butterflies live. I just want her to be happy and love learning again. No more forcing her to leave the house in the morning with tears in her eyes.

Off we go, earlier than expected, but feeling sure of our decision. Monday is the day. Lets all raise a glass of chocolate milk to math work in the back yard and reading history on the trampoline in the sunshine.

Kitty
Mom/Teacher of 1

No comments:

Post a Comment